Philips AVENT 3-in-1 Electric Steam Sterilizer Reviews
If you’re having a baby soon, it’s best to start collecting baby stuff as preparation for his/her arrival. Aside from clothing, you need also need to consider buying baby bottles. Since not all mothers have a sufficient amount of breast milk and most of them use formula milk, buying baby bottles and a sterilizer ahead of time is a big help.
However, there are numerous brands that are out in the market. Today, selecting the best one is quite hard. Mothers want to ensure their baby’s safety, so they need to select the best baby bottles that are made from top quality materials to avoid further health-related dilemmas.
Philips AVENT 3-in-1 Electric Steam Sterilizer is acknowledged to be a versatile sterilizer since it can accommodate several bottle sizes as well as accessories. Apart from that, this holds adjustable size which is ideal for trouble-free kitchen storage.
After much deliberation between the Philips Avent 3-in-1 and Pigeon Rapid steam sterilizer, I decided to get the Avent one for several reasons:
1) Philips Avent sterilizer is smaller and flat in shape, and thus more space-saving. And it can fit 6 bottles, which will be more than sufficient for me. The Pigeon one is round and can fit 7-9 bottles, which will be useful if there are more kids.
2)Philips Avent sterilizer can keep bottles sterile for up to 24hrs, while 6hrs for Pigeon. I am planning to sterilize twice a day, once before going to bed, so I can use the bottles in the morning. So I will need the bottles to remain to sterilize throughout the night before I use them in the morning.
3) Sterilization time needed for both is 6mins, so they are on par.
I was also considering the Pigeon multi-function sterilizer, which is a sterilizer, bottle, and food warmer in 1. The pros will be that space-saving and cost-saving, but the cons are that if the base is spoilt, all 3 functions will be gone, and also when I am sterilizing, I cannot warm a bottle at the same time.
Benefits and Features:
- BPA Free with a free 2-year guarantee
- Can accommodate all types of bottles: Due to the adjustable size, this can perfectly accommodate all items you want to sterilize without consuming a great amount of kitchen space.
- This item provides small-size configuration for soother sterilizing, medium-size configuration when sterilizing several toddler plates, bottles, forks, and knives. The large-size configuration can accommodate a maximum of 6 bottles, while the integrated “dishwasher basket” is provided for hassle-free pre-cleaning of accessories and bottles.
- Safe and Provides Additional Speed: This is designed to automatically shut off once sterilization is complete. The automatic shut off after six minutes cycle ensures 100% safe and less energy consumption.
- Provides natural sterilization steam that can kill 99.9 percent of harmful microorganisms without needing to use any sort of chemicals
- Philips AVENT 3-in-1 Electric Steriliser is suitable for narrow and neck bottles: This has been created to fit narrow and wide neck bottles and different accessories and breast pumps. This item provides you with the freedom of choosing accessories and bottles that best suit you and your baby’s needs. At full capacity, this can hold 6 11oz per 330 ml Philips AVENT bottles.
- This type of sterilizer is easy and quick to use for feeding accessories and equipment. The basket is perfect for both narrow and wide neck bottles, which allows you to use a single unit to accommodate all sterilizing needs. Apart from that, this only takes 6 minutes to finish the cycle.
- With the automatic switch-off function, you are given the ability to multi-task. The process of “steam sterilization” is the most proven effective way of eliminating harmful organisms quickly and permanently.
How do I use my Philips Avent 3 in 1 electric steam sterilizer?
If it’s your first time using the appliance, it’s highly recommended to let the AVENT complete 1 sterilization process with an empty basket. Make sure to read and follow the “Philips Users Manual” for complete and accurate care and safety instructions.
1) First, give all the parts of the used baby bottles a rinse with water to clean off the obvious milk stains.
2) Then, fill the baby bottles with water, and add a pump of Baby Bottle Cleansing Liquid (We use Pigeon Liquid Cleanser) in each bottle to kill the germs in them and remove greasiness. Shake well, then allow to soak for a while.
3) The best baby bottle brush that I’ve ever used is the Chicco NaturalFit Baby Bottle Brush because it can thoroughly clean the baby bottles.
Using the baby bottle brush, with the Baby Bottle Liquid solution still inside the baby bottles, scrub the insides of the baby bottles clean, and after that pour the solution out over the teats of the baby bottles while rubbing them to remove the milk deposits on them.
To test whether the baby bottles are quite clean, use your finger to rub the inside of the baby bottles. It should produce a satisfying squeaky sound. If it feels oily that means that the milk deposits are still coating the insides.
4) Add 100ml (3.38 Oz) of water into one of your baby bottles and pour it into the water reservoir of your Philips Avent 3-in-1 Electric Steam Sterilizer.
5) Put your baby bottles into the bigger, white, opaque container, and put the container on top of the water reservoir.
We can put up to 4 Dr. Brown Baby Bottles and their vent reservoirs.
6) Put the vent inserts, caps, and teats into the smaller, translucent container, put the container on top of the white container, and then cover the lid.
Kindly refer to the photos below for reference!
7) Turn on the switch to start the sterilization process. Wait for 6 minutes for it to be finished. While waiting, do something else .
8) After the sterilizer cools down, you can assemble the baby bottles and prepare them for the subsequent milk feeds! it’s that simple!
A perfect companion to the Philips AVENT bottles, the Philips AVENT 3-in-1 Steriliser is a great tool to make sure that your baby is safe from bacteria.
How to descale Avent sterilizer with vinegar?
1. Always make sure that the sterilizer is unplugged and completely cooled down before descaling.
2. Add 80 ml (2.7 Oz) of white vinegar (5% acetic acid) and 20 ml (0.7 Oz) water into the water reservoir.
3. Leave the solution in the water reservoir and wait for the scale to be dissolved.
4. Pour away the solution and clean the heating plate with clean water.
5. Wipe the heating plate with a damp cloth. Note: Do not rinse with water under the tap – this may damage the sterilizer!
Repeat this descaling procedure as much as needed. It is recommended to be done every 1-2 weeks.
In more drastic cases of scale buildup, citric acid or common descaling agents can be used instead to remove the limescale.
We hardly ever have to do this descaling process because we use pure water for the sterilization process (we have a water filter machine at home) which results in much fewer mineral deposits in the water reservoir.
Do I need to dry bottles after sterilizing?
No, Thankfully, you can cross this off your to-do list. Any water left inside the bottles after sterilization is sterile and won’t collect germs so there’s no need to dry. In fact, wiping the inside of a bottle after sterilization could even add germs, so it’s best not to.
I love having a sterilizer to use instead of a boiling bottle and pump parts! We use this to clean all my Medela breast pump parts, pacifiers, small plastic toys, and of course Philips Avent bottles.
I love how quickly it works – I just put in the water, put the pieces together, and press ONE BUTTON. Five minutes later, it’s all done and It shuts down automatically once the job is done. I do wish it would dry the pieces as well as steam – you need to take everything out or at least pull the pieces apart to get it to dry.